Boston Bar water system vandalized inside wildfire evacuation area: FVRD

The Boston Bar water system was vandalized last week as wildfires continued to impact the area, according to a news release from the Fraser Valley Regional District (FVRD).

The alleged vandalism occurred inside an area under an evacuation order due to the Brunswick Complex wildfires.

The FVRD said it received a high flow alarm at about 11:30 p.m. on Thursday (July 23), indicating that the Boston Bar water system’s valve riser was opened, feeding it with water.

Per the news release, the Boston Bar water system was shut down by the FVRD earlier on Thursday since the water supply was sharply decreasing while the draw was increasing.

“By turning this valve, and doing so incorrectly, it created the potential to build a water hammer throughout the water system thus creating a catastrophic failure to the water system,” the FVRD said.

Regional district staff turned the water service back off at approximately 1:30 a.m. on Friday (July 24).

The area was also under a Boil Water Notice from the FVRD, a stage 4 water conservation measure, and notification that the FVRD was prioritizing water access to BC Wildfire Service.

“These stages of water access were communicated publicly even though nobody should be in an evacuation order area,” FVRD said.

According to an update from the FVRD on Monday (July 27), the regional district is actively working to assess and restore emergency water flows within the Boston Bar water system. The FVRD intends to take a phased approach to restoration with the first phase to restore emergency water to the Boston Bar/North Bend Firehall and key hydrants underway on Monday.

The next phase will include testing the system’s ability to hold pressurized water, completing necessary repairs, and identifying any damaged pipes or leaks. Properties will require site-level turn offs during the system assessment, the FVRD said.

“Following this phase, the FVRD will work to determine a timeline for the complete restoration of potable (drinking) water service to the Boston Bar water system,” the update reads.

The final phase will include work to meet health and safety requirements for drinking water.

The FVRD said it will continue to provide updates as restoration work progresses.

“Unfortunately, this incident has the potential to burden taxpayers who pay for water service through substantial repair costs for the water system. The FVRD is hoping the water system endured minimal damage as a result of the vandalism however, felt it important to advise the community about the potential damage,” the initial news release reads.

Those with information are urged to contact Hope RCMP, referencing file 2026-31913.

R XE