British Columbians are expected to learn next week how much the province’s role in the 2026 FIFA Men’s World Cup will cost, says Tourism Minister Anne Kang.
Kang spoke to media on Wednesday afternoon (May 20), following a report from the federal government’s budget watchdog into the costs associated with hosting the World Cup. Premier David Eby had previously said to expect total costs to be released by the end of May.
With 13 of the 104 matches to be played in Canada – seven in Vancouver and six in Toronto – it’s expected to cost a total of $1.066 billion, with $473 million in funding coming from the federal government and the remainder from other levels of government, according to the Office of the Parliamentary Budget Officer report.
The hosting costs for Vancouver are an estimated $578 million, while Toronto is estimated to be $380 million. In addition, there is an estimated $108 million for other costs, including public safety and preparation work.
The estimated cost per game is $82 million.
However, Kang said these costs are based on 2025 estimates.
“It does not take into account the positive offsetting of the revenues and recoveries that we have made. Every investment that the province has made into the FIFA games they’re considered a long-term investment.”
Asked if there was a cap on what B.C. is willing to spend, Kang said, “British Columbia is committed to keeping costs as low as possible.”
Less than a year out from the World Cup, it was revealed that the games in Vancouver could cost between $532 million on the low end and $624 million on the high end. That was $43 million more than the previous estimate.
Kang said the province expects to see a return on these investments through small businesses, restaurants and the tourism sector.
She added the investments from B.C. will also leave a “long-term legacy, whether that’s investment in the infrastructure for BC Place or the 32 communities that we will be investing in our watch parties in or the legacies that we will be leaving behind.”
B.C. Conservative interim Leader Trevor Halford said B.C. is now less than three weeks out from the first games and Eby needs to tell the public what the costs to taxpayers will be.
“There is no reason why they should not be giving that number right now so that British Columbians know and understand what they’re paying for with these games.”
The 2026 men’s World Cup is from June 11 to July 19. Vancouver will host seven matches, with the first on June 13. Vancouver will also host a round of 16 game in the knockout stage on July 7.