All 4 captured grizzlies ruled out from Bella Coola bear attack

The B.C. Conservation Officer Service (COS) said the four grizzly bears that have been captured in the days following an attack in Bella Coola were not involved in the attack.

The attack took place Nov. 20 and left four people seriously injured — one adult and three children. The search for bears involved in the attack has been ongoing ever since.

Forensic evidence has ruled out the four grizzlies that have so far been captured by conservation officers, the COS said in a social media statement Friday evening, Nov. 28.

“The BCCOS received results today from a forensics lab, which analyzed evidence from the attack, including animal DNA. None of the captured bears were linked to the attack,” the COS said.

The bears will be relocated within their home range but far from the Bella Coola community in the coming days, with help from wildlife biologists and the provincial wildlife veterinarian.

Meanwhile, the search for any bears involved in the attack goes on.

“The BCCOS continues to support the Nuxalk Nation as the search for any bears involved and investigation continues,” the COS said.

The victims in the attack were among a group of students and teachers who had stopped along a trail near a river in the 4 Mile area when the attack took place. In all, 11 people were injured.

The COS said it had captured the two most recent grizzlies on Thursday, Nov. 27. The first two bears were captured Monday, Nov. 24.

Residents are asked to avoid the 4 Mile area, stay indoors, and refrain from searching for any bears themselves.

“Conservation Officers will continue to monitor bear activity in the Bella Coola area and respond as necessary to ensure public safety.”