Alberta Premier Danielle Smith commits to separation referendum

Albertans will vote this October on whether they would like to remain part of Canada.

In a televised address on Thursday, Premier Danielle Smith said that while she supports Alberta remaining in Canada, Albertans have shown they want their voices to be heard on the question.

“The fact is that between the “Forever Canada” petition requesting a referendum on Alberta remaining in Canada, and the “Stay Free Alberta” petition requesting a referendum on leaving Canada, approximately 700,000 Albertans have signed petitions requesting a vote on this issue,” Smith said in her statement on Thursday.

“And I, as Premier, will not have a legal mistake by a single judge silence the voices of hundreds of thousands of Albertans.

That’s not the Alberta way. Alberta’s future will be decided by Albertans, not the courts.”

The question, which will join the nine constitutional and non-constitutional referendum questions already on the ballot set for Oct. 19, will be “Should Alberta remain a province of Canada or should the Government of Alberta commence the legal process required under the Canadian Constitution to hold a binding provincial referendum on whether or not Alberta should separate from Canada?”

Justice Shaina Leonard quashed the Stay Free Alberta petition that gathered over 300,000 signatures related to a potential referendum question that asked “Do you agree that the Province of Alberta should cease to be a part of Canada to become an independent state?”

Leonard concluded that the provincial government failed to meet its duty to consult with First Nations.

Athabasca Chipewyan First Nation and the Blackfoot Confederacy, which represents the Siksika, Kainai and Piikani First Nations, brought the lawsuit forward to determine whether this petition was constitutional. First Nations argued Alberta separation would infringe on treaty rights.

Smith fundamentally disagreed with this ruling and said her government plans to fight the decision.

“Last week, an Alberta judge released a decision finding that the citizen initiative petition organized by the group “Stay Free Alberta” on the issue of Alberta separation, is unconstitutional because, in the judge’s view, there was not adequate consultation done with a First Nation’s band about the potential effect of the petition on their treaty rights,” Smith said.

“This ruling fundamentally misinterprets the nature of the duty to consult, which was never meant to prevent citizens from making their voices heard through a democratic process.”

Shortly after Smith’s speech, an organization called Vote to Stay was launched.

The organization was announced by former Conservative cabinet minister and Albertan Monte Solberg.

“Alberta’s greatest moments have always come from building a bigger future, not from turning our backs on the wider world,” said Monte Solberg, Chair of Vote to Stay and former Conservative cabinet minister under Prime Minister Stephen Harper.

Premier Smith, in her speech, implored Albertans to vote to remain a part of Canada.

“I am so proud to be Albertan. But I ask you to please consider joining me to vote for Alberta to remain in Canada, and not give up on our beautiful country just as we’re gaining respect and the tide has turned in our favour,” she said.