Dozens of firearms were seized near Quesnel after RCMP executed search warrants at two rural properties last week.
According to a press release, Mounties seized approximately 50 firearms during a coordinated operation at two rural properties near Quesnel on May 15, as part of an ongoing investigation.
The Cariboo-Chilcotin Crime Reduction Unit led the operation with assistance from Quesnel RCMP, Williams Lake RCMP, Police Dog Services, the Combined Forces Special Enforcement Unit BC and the Forensic Identification Section.
According to police, the North District Emergency Response Team was deployed during the execution of the search warrants due to safety considerations and “out of abundance of caution.”
RCMP said the seizure included multiple restricted and prohibited firearms, along with ammunition and other firearm-related items.
Two individuals were detained during the operation but were later released pending further investigation.
“The seizure of more than four dozen firearms, ammunition and other items marks a significant win for public safety,” Staff Sgt. Kris Clark of the BC RCMP said in the release.
“The investigation is ongoing and any charges would be subject to approval by the appropriate Prosecution Service.”